In this Octane fabric material texturing tutorial for beginners I’ll show you how to use seamless fabric textures to texture your 3D clothes.
I’ll cover how to import seamless fabric textures, how to scale and distort textures, how to change the colors of textures, how to create see-through fishnet and lace with opacity maps in Octane render engine, as well as how to add fabric weave detail with a normal map.
I hope this free Octane render texturing tutorial helps you!
If you need hi-res seamless fabric textures check out our Huge Library of Seamless HD tiling cloth textures.
Octane Render Engine
Octane render engine Octane Render is a real-time 3D unbiased rendering application that was started by the New Zealand-based company Refractive Software, Ltd and OTOY took over on March 2012. Octane Render is the world’s first GPU-based, physically correct renderer.
OctaneRender 3 Features:
- OctaneRender 3 offers features such as volumetric light field primitives and deep motion buffers for high frame rate VR rendering.
- The Octane GPU renderer includes Open Shader Language (OpenSL) and OpenVDB for particle simulation.
- Octane supports more than 21 plugins and has a fully interactive, real-time 3D editing viewport.
- OctaneRender v3 supports unbiased GPU texture baking (UV or volumetric) of global illumination, spherical harmonics and 8D light fields.
- OctaneRender 3 adds deep pixel rendering support as well as live connecting of DCC and compositing apps through the OctaneRender for NUKE plugin.
- OctaneRender v3 supports rendering of particulate matter such as clouds, smoke, fog and fire with varying densities and introduces a unique native primitive type for incredibly detailed micro-surface displacement volumes and surfaces required to render photo-realistic natural and organic materials.
- Leveraging the power of the GPU, Octane can render final quality images 10x to 50x faster than CPU-based, unbiased rendering engines.
- Octane supports subsurface light scattering (SSS), complex IOR, chromatic dispersion and absorption to create some of the best materials in the industry. Use the node editor to create complex materials from procedural textures, or quickly pull a material from the OctaneLive Material Database.
- Octane supports HDRI, mesh emitters, IES files and a sun/sky system. Rotate an HDRI file to position it in your scene, or turn any object into a mesh light by enabling the emission property of the material. Octane allows you to manipulate the lighting in a scene, however you choose.
Best Octane Render Engine Alternative
If you are a character artist or want to render products, Marmoset Toolbag is our recommended render engine. It is very fast and has all the control needed to easily set up any kind of lighting you need, with lightning-fast render time, also GPU-based rendering.
However, you cannot scale seamless textures like in Octane, and would need to bring in baked maps in order to texture your 3D model or scene.
If you enjoyed reading this article, then please tell your friends about it. This helps us Elves get the word out, so more fellow artists can benefit! All goes hand in hand - Blessings to you the Elves shall send! :)